After a lot of thinking and planning, I finally managed to lengthen the hat by one repeat, and it turned out nicer than I could have hoped!
This doesn't show the colour well, but it's the best pic of the extended pattern.
The next two show the most true to life colour:
Habitat [RA Link]
Yarn: Malabrigo Worsted, Marine
Needles: US8(4.5mm)/US9(5.5mm) 16" circs
Notes: So I made this toque for my friend Adrian, and his head is 24” circumference and about 7-8.5” in height for hats. I started by increasing the circumference. I CO 108 sts with US8’s then increased to 144 sts and switched to US 9’s.
I could tell by everyone else’s pictures and by the length I got by row 16 that it wasn’t going to be long enough. It took me a while but I figured out how to extend the pattern. After row 16 I inserted this chart. After that I replaced all the “c2 over 2 left” on the left side of the pattern (column 17-20) with “c2 over 2 right”.
So in the end it managed to cover his ears totally, and the hat doesn't look too stretched out (I prefer an end result where the cable is still bumpy rather than stretched) and I'm super pleased with the outcome!